Saturday, November 19, 2011

mistrust of truth, I blame advertising...at least in part

I saw an advertisement in Wal Mart today, it was a picture of a stylish young man wearing retro style glasses frames. The quote above the picture said something to the effect of yesterdays best is todays fashion.

Stated as fact, truth, no opinion no option to discuss. Simply to accept or to reject the idea of this "truth". When I took my marketing classes in college, the entirety of the classes could be summed up into this basic concept, convince people to believe in what you are telling them, hence making your "truth" their "truth". Well, people have begun to reject this idea that I have to believe what you believe, and in part it probably has to do with this idea that advertising is trying to tell you what is and isn't "true".

As the saying goes, "I reject your reality and substitute my own", this mind set has become, for all functional purposes, a defense mechanism for people when they hear something they disagree with, or don't want to agree with it etc. This can be very dangerous, and when used in the extreme sense shown to be very silly as an idea. For example, person one, "a bite from that snake will kill you.", person two, "I reject your reality, and submit that this snake bite will not kill me." And so person two dies, probably adding a little chorine to the gene pool as a result.

So I call to the power of balance, if you are one who sees life as a subjective reality, determined with in your own mind as a result of processing external stimuli, perhaps is it wise for you to begin to explore that there are stimuli were 99.99% of the whole population will experience in the same way. From there beginning to understand that there is more to rejecting absolute truth than meets the optic nerves. Truth exists, that much is, I submit, obvious, what is less obvious to the general population is how to deal with truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment